§ 3–1208.62. Qualifications for license to practice veterinary medicine.
(a) The Board of Veterinary Medicine shall issue a license to practice veterinary medicine to a person who, in addition to meeting the requirements of subchapter V of this chapter [§ 3-1205.01 et seq.]:
(1) Is a graduate of a school of veterinary medicine approved by the Board;
(2) Has passed an examination as prescribed by the Board to determine the person’s competence to engage in the practice of veterinary medicine; and
(3) Has not been convicted of an offense that is related to the occupation for which the license is sought, including an offense for animal cruelty.
(b) The Board may waive the examination requirements of this section upon the request of any applicant for licensure, when that applicant has:
(1) Submitted a properly completed application and paid the requisite application fees; and
(2) Demonstrated that he or she has passed an examination in a state or territory of the United States where the requirements for licensure are deemed by the Board to be substantially equivalent to those in the District; and
(3) Demonstrated that he or she has maintained a license in good standing and has practiced continuously in the jurisdiction for the 12 months preceding the date of application.
(c) The Board shall, upon receipt of a properly completed application, issue a license to engage in the practice of veterinary medicine in the District to a graduate of a foreign school of veterinary medicine who, in addition to meeting the requirements of subchapter V of this chapter [§ 3-1205.01 et seq.], has:
(1) Graduated from a school of veterinary medicine that is accredited by the jurisdiction in which it is located;
(2) Submitted proper credentials to the Board as may be determined in rules issued by the Mayor; and
(3) Passed a written examination as required by the Board to determine the person’s competency to engage in the practice of veterinary medicine.
(d) Any person licensed to practice veterinary medicine pursuant to subchapter I of Chapter 5 of this title [§ 3-501 et seq.] shall be considered to be licensed under this chapter.