§ 50–2421.02. Definitions.
For purposes of this subchapter, the terms:
(1) “Abandoned vehicle” means any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer that is left, parked, or stored on public space for more than 48 hours or on private property for more than 30 days, and to which at least one of the following applies:
(B) The vehicle is apparently inoperable, including a vehicle missing its transmission, motor, or one or more tires, and which is not undergoing emergency repair;
(C) The vehicle serves as harborage for rats, vermin, and other pests; or
(D) The vehicle does not display valid tags or a valid registration sticker; except, that a vehicle shall not be deemed an abandoned vehicle under this subparagraph solely because the vehicle displays expired tags or registration sticker, unless the tags or registration sticker expired at least one year before any enforcement action is taken under this subchapter, which shall be measured concurrently with the period of time required to establish that the vehicle is abandoned, as described in the lead-in language of this paragraph.
(2) "Dangerous vehicle" means a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer that, due to at least one of the following conditions existing for at least 24 hours, poses an imminent hazard to the public health, safety, or welfare:
(A) The vehicle is extensively damaged, including damaged by fire or exposed broken glass or metal shards are present; or
(B) Another dangerous condition that poses an imminent hazard to the public health, safety, or welfare is present.
(3) “Department” means the Department of Public Works.
(4) “Director” means the Director of the Department of Public Works.
(5) “Impounded” means any vehicle in the custody of the Department of Public Works or stored at a private storage facility at the direction of the Department as a result of the vehicle:
(A) Having been removed from its location for:
(i) Violating § 50-2421.03;
(ii) Having 2 or more unsettled notices of infraction against it, as authorized by § 50-2201.03(k); or
(iii) Having been parked in violation of a traffic regulation other than overtime parking of less than 24 hours, as authorized by 18 DCMR § 2421; or
(B) Having been transferred from the custody of the Metropolitan Police Department to the custody of the Department of Public Works.
(6) “Motor vehicle” or “vehicle” means any device designed to be propelled by an internal-combustion engine, electricity, or steam.
(7) “Physical characteristics of an abandoned vehicle” means any of the conditions set forth in paragraph (1) of this section.
(8) “Private property” means real property, including real property owned or under the jurisdiction of the District of Columbia, other than public space.
(9) “Public space” means all the property owned or under the jurisdiction of the District of Columbia, between lines on a street, as such property lines are shown on the records of the Surveyor of the District of Columbia, and includes any roadway, tree space, sidewalk, or parking between such property lines.
(10) “Unclaimed vehicle” means an impounded motor vehicle not reclaimed within the applicable time periods set forth in § 50-2421.08.