§ 47–2851.01. Definitions.
For the purposes of this subchapter, the term:
(1) “Basic business license” means the single document designed for public display issued by the business license center that certifies District agency license approval and that incorporates the endorsements for individual licenses included in the basic business license system that the District requires for any person subject to this subchapter. The term “basic business license” shall include a master business license issued prior to the effective date of the Streamlining Regulation Emergency Act of 2003, passed on an emergency basis on July 8, 2003 (Enrolled version of Bill 15-317) [August 11, 2003].
(1A) “Basic business license application” means a document incorporating pertinent data from existing applications for licenses covered under this subchapter.
(1B)(A) “Business” means any trade, profession, or activity which provides, or holds itself out to provide, goods or services to the general public or to any portion of the general public, for hire or compensation in the District of Columbia[.]
(B) “Business” shall not include the following:
(i) The activities of any political subdivision, or of any authority created and organized under and pursuant to law of the District;
(ii) The activities of any compact entered into by the District with any state or political subdivision of a state; or
(iii) Any employment for wages or salary.
(2) “Business License Center” means the business registration and licensing center established by this subchapter and located in and under the administrative control of the Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection.
(3) “Department” means the Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection.
(4) “Director” means the Director of the Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection.
(5) “License” means the whole or part of any agency permit, license, certificate, approval, registration, charter, or any form or permission required by law, including agency rule, to engage in any activity.
(5A) “License information packet” means a collection of information about licensing requirements and application procedures custom-assembled for each request.
(8) “Person” means any individual, sole proprietorship, partnership, association, cooperative, corporation, nonprofit organization, and any other organization required to obtain one or more licenses from the District or any of its agencies.
(9) “Regulation” means any licensing or other governmental or statutory requirements pertaining to business or professional activities.
(10) “Regulatory agency” means any District agency, board, commission, or division which regulates one or more professions, occupations, industries, businesses, or activities.
(11) “Renewal application” means a document used to collect pertinent data for renewal of licenses covered under this subchapter.
(12) “System” means the mechanism by which basic business licenses are issued and renewed, license and regulatory information is disseminated, and account data is exchanged by the agencies.