*NOTE: This section includes amendments by temporary legislation that will expire on October 6, 2023. To view the text of this section after the expiration of all emergency and temporary legislation affecting this section, click this link: Permanent Version.*
(a) The Mayor, pursuant to subchapter I of Chapter 5 of Title 2, shall issue a comprehensive rulemaking to update the rules governing the hanging, placing, painting, projection, display, and maintenance of signs on public space, public buildings, or other property owned or controlled by the District and on private property within public view within the District, and the Mayor may thereafter amend, repeal, and enforce such rules. Proposed rules shall be submitted to the Council for a 45-day period of review, excluding Saturdays, Sundays, legal holidays, and days of Council recess. If the Council does not approve or disapprove the proposed rules, in whole or in part, by resolution within this 45-day review period, the proposed rules shall be deemed disapproved. The proposed rules shall not take effect until approved by the Council.
(b) The rules shall:
(1) Determine the types of signs that shall be allowed and prohibited and establish permit requirements for signs, where appropriate;
(2) Establish standards for the location, size, and illumination of different types of signs;
(3) Allow for the display of signs that contribute to a healthy business environment and civic communication while protecting the health, safety, convenience, and welfare of the public, including protection of the appearance of outdoor space throughout the District;
(4) State the specific requirements for large signs and billboards;
(5) Establish standards for signs on historic sites or in historic areas;
(6) Provide structural requirements for signs to ensure their safety;
(7) Ensure compliance with federal highway requirements;
(8) Provide for the creation of Designated Entertainment Areas to allow for the display of additional signs; and
(9) Establish permit fees.
(c) Until the issuance of a comprehensive final rulemaking pursuant to subsection (a) of this section, the Mayor may issue rules to update, amend, repeal, and enforce regulations regarding signs on public space, public buildings, or other property owned or controlled by the District and on private property within public view within the District pursuant to § 6-1409.