(a) Insofar as practicable, and consistent with the provision of adequate service at reasonable fares, the rates and fares and service shall be fixed by the Department, so as to result in revenues that shall:
(1) Pay the operating expenses and provide for repairs, maintenance, and depreciation of the DC Circulator vehicles or other assets owned or controlled by the District;
(2) Provide for payment of all principal and interest on outstanding revenue bonds; and
(3) Provide funds for any purpose the Department considers necessary and desirable to carry out the purposes of this section.
(b) The base fare to ride the DC Circulator shall be at least $1; except, that the Department may provide discounts for:
(1) Seniors, veterans, students, children, and disabled persons;
(2) All riders during a public health emergency declared by the Mayor;
(3) All riders during promotional periods; provided, that promotional periods may not cumulatively total more than 2 months in a calendar year; and
(c) Beginning August 26, 2013, the Department shall not charge a DC Circulator fare to students on regular school days.