*NOTE: Section 201(b)(2) of D.C. Act 25-61 provides that the amendments made to this section by § 119 of D.C. Act 25-61 shall expire on October 1, 2023.*
*NOTE: This section includes amendments by emergency legislation that will expire on August 22, 2023. To view the text of this section after the expiration of all emergency and temporary legislation, click this link: Permanent Version.*
For the purposes of this subchapter, the term:
(1) "Chemical irritant" means tear gas or any chemical that can rapidly produce sensory irritation or disabling physical effects in humans, which disappear within a short time following termination of exposure, or any substance prohibited by the Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production, Stockpiling and Use of Chemical Weapons and on their Destruction, effective April 29, 1997.
(2) “First Amendment assembly” means a demonstration, rally, parade, march, picket line, or other similar gathering conducted for the purpose of persons expressing their political, social, or religious views.
(3) "Less-lethal projectiles" means any munition that may cause bodily injury or death through the transfer of kinetic energy and blunt force trauma. The term "less-lethal projectiles" includes rubber or foam-covered bullets and stun grenades.
(4) "Less-lethal weapons" means:
(A) Chemical irritants; and
(B) Less-lethal projectiles.
(5) “MPD” means the Metropolitan Police Department.