§ 5–107.02. Mandatory continuing education program for sworn members of the Metropolitan Police Department.
(a) The Department shall implement a program of continuing education for its sworn members, which shall consist of a minimum of 32 hours of training each year.
(b) The continuing education required by subsection (a) of this section shall include, at a minimum, instruction on:
(1) Community policing;
(2) Recognizing and preventing biased-based policing, racism, and white supremacy;
(3) Limiting the use of force and employing de-escalation tactics;
(4) Prohibited techniques, as that term is defined in § 5-125.02(6);
(4A) Best practices for identifying, and interacting with individuals living with, Alzheimer's Disease or other dementias, and the risks such individuals face, such as wandering and elder abuse[;]
(5) Mental and behavioral health awareness;
(6) Linguistic and cultural competency;
(7) The constitutional requirements for conducting searches and seizures, including the use of protective pat-downs, and the limitations on the use of consent searches, as described in § 23-526; and
(8) The duty of a sworn officer to report, and the method for reporting, suspected misconduct or excessive use of force by a law enforcement officer that a sworn member observes or that comes to the sworn member's attention, as well as any governing District laws and regulations and Department written directives.