§ 47–2853.122. Eligibility requirements.
(a) An applicant to be an apprentice plumber shall be registered by the Mayor, without examination, upon providing such information as may be required by the Board of Industrial Trades and payment of appropriate fees. An apprentice plumber shall work only under the direct personal supervision and control of a licensed master plumber/gasfitter or master gasfitter.
(b) An applicant for licensure as a journeyman plumber or journeyman gasfitter shall establish to the satisfaction of the Board of Industrial Trades that the applicant has:
(1) Worked as an apprentice plumber or gasfitter for at least 8,000 hours over at least 4 years;
(2) Graduated from an accredited college or university with a degree in mechanical engineering, and has at least 2 years of practical experience as a plumber or gasfitter as verified by a licensed master plumber or licensed master gasfitter; or
(3) Has comparable experience or a combination of education and experience that the Board deems equivalent to the above; and
(4) Such additional evidence as the Board determines is necessary for the particular specialty license sought by the applicant.
(b-1)(1) The Board shall accept, in lieu of examination and the requirements set forth in subsection (b) of this section, a certificate from a national certifying organization certifying that the applicant:
(A) Has completed the organization’s apprenticeship program;
(B) Has passed the organization’s required examination;
(C) Is designated by that organization as a journeyman plumber or journeyman gasfitter; and
(D) Has not been disciplined or otherwise disqualified by the organization.
(2) For the purposes of this subsection, the term “national certifying organization” shall include a nationally recognized trade organization, non-union sponsor, or labor union that is registered with the Bureau of Apprenticeship Training, the United States Department of Labor, or the District of Columbia Apprenticeship Council.
(c) An applicant for licensure as a master plumber/gasfitter or master gasfitter shall establish to the satisfaction of the Board that the applicant has a valid license as a journeyman plumber or gasfitter, or has met the requirements of subsection (b) of this section, and has worked as a journeyman plumber or journeyman gasfitter for at least 4 years.