§ 4–1801. Definitions.
For the purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) "Bar Foundation" shall have the same meaning as provided in § 4-1701.01(6).
(2) "Covered proceeding" means an actual or reasonably anticipated administrative or judicial proceeding in the District of Columbia:
(A) To evict an eligible individual or group;
(B) To increase an eligible individual's or group's current rent;
(C) Initiated by an eligible individual or group and relating to the current rent for that eligible individual or group;
(D) Initiated by an eligible individual or group and relating to one or more housing code violations under Chapters 4 through 9 of Title 14 of the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations (14 DCMR §§ 400 to 999), Title 12-G of the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations (12-G DCMR § 101 et seq.), or Chapter 2B of Title 8;
(E) To terminate an eligible individual from participation in any housing subsidy program; or
(F) Initiated by an eligible individual or group and relating to the eligible individual's or group's rights under Unit A of Chapter 14 of Title 2 or Chapter 35 of Title 42[.]
(3) "Designated legal services provider" means a nonprofit organization or clinical program headquartered in the District of Columbia that provides legal services under this chapter.
(4) "Eligible individual or group" means a:
(A) Low-income tenant or occupant residing in the District of Columbia; or
(B) Group of low-income tenants or occupants residing in the District of Columbia; provided, that the majority of the group are low-income tenants or occupants.
(6) "Legal services" means representation of an eligible individual or group through the provision of advice or brief services, or representation in a covered proceeding, including limited scope representation.
(7) "Licensed legal professional" means:
(A) A member of the District of Columbia Bar authorized to practice law;
(B) A law student participating in an authorized, attorney-supervised clinical program through an accredited law school in the District of Columbia; or
(C) A member of the bar of another jurisdiction who is legally permitted to appear and represent a specific client in a particular proceeding in the court or other forum in which the matter is pending.