§ 38–755.03. Requirements and goals.
(a) To meet the academic achievement requirements and goals set forth in this section, the Chancellor shall:
(1) Establish guidelines for academic achievement;
(2) Develop and implement curricula; and
(3) Ensure that DCPS staff and administrators are trained to implement the curricula established pursuant to paragraph (2) of this subsection to meet the goals set forth in subsection (b) of this section.
(b) The Chancellor shall be responsible for:
(1) Academic achievement goals, which shall include the reasonable expectation that all children:
(A) Three or 4 years of age in DCPS shall be properly prepared for entry and achievement in the DCPS kindergarten program; and
(B) In the 3rd grade, upon being promoted to the 4th grade, shall be able to read independently and to understand the fundamental of mathematics so that they can:
(iii) Multiply; and
(iv) Divide; and
(2) Readiness goals, which shall include readiness evaluations for all children:
(A) Three or 4 years of age in DCPS, which shall be designed and implemented to measure the ability of a student entering the DCPS kindergarten program and to determine his or her readiness for entry and achievement in DCPS; and
(B) In kindergarten through 3rd grade in DCPS, which shall be designed and implemented to measure the reading and mathematical ability of a student entering a grade kindergarten through 3rd grade to determine the student’s readiness for entry and achievement in the relevant grade level.