§ 38–381. Access to Advanced Placement Tests.
(a)(1) Beginning no later than 180 days after Febryary 23, 2023, the District of Columbia Public Schools ("DCPS") shall permit a non-enrollee to sit for an Advanced Placement test ("test") at the student's right-to-attend DCPS school; provided, that the Office of the State Superintendent of Education ("OSSE") has certified to DCPS that the non-enrollee is eligible to sit for the test.
(2) OSSE shall certify a non-enrollee as eligible to sit for a test where:
(A) OSSE has received timely notification that the non-enrollee is participating in a homeschooling program for the school year in which the test is to be administered; and
(B) OSSE has received a timely request from the non-enrollee to register for the test.
(b) DCPS may offer a reasonable alternate location for a non-enrollee to take a currently offered test where the non-enrollee's right-to-attend school will not offer that test during the relevant school year or term.
(c) Where OSSE has certified to DCPS that a non-enrollee is eligible to sit for a test pursuant to subsection (a)(2) of this section, DCPS shall provide notice to the non-enrollee at least 30 days in advance of the test. The notice shall include:
(1) The date, time, and location that the non-enrollee will take the test; and
(2) Information on testing logistics, including an e-mail address and phone number that non-enrollees may use to contact DCPS about the test, and a link to information on the DCPS website on Advanced Placement testing for non-enrollees.
(d) A non-enrollee shall remit payment for test fees, processing fees, or costs incurred by OSSE, DCPS, or an individual school to administer a test by check made payable to the District of Columbia Treasurer.
(e) Beginning no later than 30 days after February 23, 2023:
(1) DCPS shall make available and maintain on its website information on how a non-enrollee may register for tests with OSSE, test day logistics, and any other relevant information, including a method for non-enrollees and their parents or guardians to contact DCPS with questions about testing under this chapter; and
(2) OSSE shall make available and maintain on its website information on how a non-enrollee may register for tests, a link to information on the DCPS website on Advanced Placement testing for non-enrollees and any other relevant information, including a method for non-enrollees and their parents or guardians to contact OSSE with questions about testing under this chapter.
(f) This chapter shall not be construed to require DCPS to offer a test to a non-enrollee student when that particular test will not be offered at any DCPS school during the relevant school year or term.
(g) For the purposes of this section, the term:
(1) "Non-enrollee" means a District resident of school age participating in a homeschooling program who is eligible to enroll at a DCPS school.
(2) "Right-to-attend school" means the DCPS school that a District resident of school-age may attend by right, based on the child's place of residence being located in the catchment area for that school.