§ 38–2731. Definitions.
For the purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) “Academic year” shall have the same meaning as provided in section 481 of the Higher Education Act [20 U.S.C. § 1088].
(2) “DC Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership Program” means the college financial assistance program administered by the State Education Office pursuant to Subpart 4 of Part A of Title IV of the Higher Education Act [20 U.S.C. § 1070c et seq.].
(3) “Eligible institution” means an institution that:
(A) Is an institution of higher education, either public or private, with its principal campus in the District of Columbia; and
(B) Is eligible to receive Student Aid Program funds under Title IV of the Higher Education Act [20 U.S.C. § 1070 et seq.].
(4) “Eligible student” means a District resident who meets the eligibility criteria for the DC Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership Program administered by the State Education Office.
(5) “Higher Education Act” means the Higher Education Act of 1965, approved November 8, 1965 [(79 Stat. 1219; 20 U.S.C. § 1001 et seq.)].
(6) “Institution of higher education” shall have the same meaning as provided in section 101 of the Higher Education Act [20 U.S.C. § 1001].
(7) “Qualified higher education expenses” means:
(A) Tuition, fees, and the cost of books, supplies, and equipment required for the enrollment or attendance of a qualified beneficiary at an eligible institution;
(B) The costs of room and board of a qualified beneficiary incurred while attending an eligible institution; provided, that the amount of room and board shall not exceed the minimum room and board allowance determined in calculating costs of attendance for federal financial aid programs under section 472 of the Higher Education Act [20 U.S.C. § 1087ll], or any subsequent legislation and implementing regulations; and
(C) Additional living expenses.