§ 38–2402.01. Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) The term “international student” means an individual who:
(A) Is not a citizen or national of, or lawfully admitted for permanent residence in, the United States;
(B) Does not provide evidence from the Immigration and Naturalization Service that he or she is in the United States for other than temporary purposes with the intention of becoming a citizen of, or lawfully admitted for permanent residence in, the United States; and
(C) Is not lawfully admitted for permanent residence in American Samoa, Guam, Palau (but only until the Compact of Free Association with Palau takes effect), the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or the Virgin Islands.
(2) The term “construction” includes construction and initial equipment of new buildings, and expansion, remodeling, and alteration of existing buildings and equipment therein, including architect’s services, but excluding off-site improvements.
(3) The term “institution of higher education” means an educational institution in any state which (A) admits as regular students only individuals having a certificate of graduation from a school providing secondary education, or the recognized equivalent of such a certificate; (B) is legally authorized within such state to provide a program of education beyond secondary education; (C) provides an educational program for which it awards a bachelor’s degree; (D) includes one or more professional or graduate schools; (E) is a public or nonprofit private institution; and (F) is accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency or association. For the purpose of subparagraph (F) of this paragraph, the Secretary shall publish a list of nationally recognized accrediting agencies or associations which the Secretary determines to be reliable authority as to the quality of training offered.
(4) The term “Secretary” means the Secretary of Education.
(5) The term “state” means each of the several states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the Virgin Islands, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and Palau (but only until the Compact of Free Association with Palau takes effect).
(6) The term “NTID” means the National Technical Institute for the Deaf.
(7) The term “University” means Gallaudet University.