§ 38–2261. Definitions.
For the purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) "DCPS" means the District of Columbia Public Schools.
(2) "ELL" means English Language Learner.
(3) "EPP" means Education Preparation Provider.
(4) "Literacy educator" means a DCPS English Language Arts instructional coach, English Language Arts assistant principal, general instructional coach, literacy assistant principal, or reading specialist.
(5) "OSSE" means the Office of the State Superintendent of Education.
(6) "Public charter school" shall have the same meaning as provided in § 38-1800.02(29).
(7) "Structured literacy training" means professional development instruction on:
(A) Effective and systematic instructional practices in reading, including phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension; and
(B) The use of empirically validated instructional methods that are appropriate for early, emergent, and struggling readers.
(8) "Public elementary school" means a District school that is either a DCPS school or a public charter school and that serves any grades in the kindergarten through grade 5 range.
(9) "General education teacher" means a teacher who is responsible for providing instruction in one or all of the following subjects:
(B) Social Studies;
(C) Mathematics; or