§ 32–581.02. Prohibition on non-compete provisions for covered employees.
(a)(1) Beginning October 1, 2022, no employer may require or request that a covered employee sign an agreement or comply with a workplace policy that includes a non-compete provision.
(2) A non-compete provision that violates paragraph (1) of this subsection contained in an agreement between a covered employee and an employer that was entered into on or after October 1, 2022, shall be void as a matter of law and unenforceable.
(b) No employer may retaliate or threaten to retaliate against a covered employee for:
(1) The covered employee's refusal to agree to a non-compete provision or non-compete agreement that is prohibited under subsection (a) of this section;
(2) The covered employee's alleged failure to comply with a non-compete provision or non-compete agreement that is prohibited under subsection (a) of this section;
(3) Asking, informing, or complaining about the existence, applicability, or validity of a provision in a workplace policy or employment agreement that the employee reasonably believes is prohibited under subsection (a) of this section or making a request for a copy of such a provision to:
(A) An employer, including the covered employee's employer;
(B) A coworker;
(C) The covered employee's lawyer or agent; or
(D) A governmental entity; or
(4) Asking the employer for the information required to be provided to the employee pursuant to § 32-581.03a.