§ 22–3225.01. Definitions.
For the purposes of this subchapter, the term:
(1) “Business of insurance” means the writing of insurance or reinsuring the risks by an insurer, including acts necessary or incidental to writing insurance or reinsuring risks and the activities of persons who act as or are officers, directors, agents, or employees of insurers, or who are other persons authorized to act on their behalf.
(2) “Commissioner” means the Commissioner of the Department of Insurance, Securities, and Banking, the Commissioner’s designee, or the Department of Insurance, Securities, and Banking.
(3) “District” means the District of Columbia.
(4) “Insurance” means a contract or arrangement in which one undertakes to:
(A) Pay or indemnify another as to loss from certain contingencies called “risks,” including through reinsurance;
(B) Pay or grant a specified amount or determinable benefit to another in connection with ascertainable risk contingencies;
(C) Pay an annuity to another; or
(D) Act as a surety.
(5) “Insurance professional” means insurance sales agents or managing general agents, insurance brokers, insurance producers, insurance adjusters, and insurance third party administrators.
(6) “Insurer” includes any company defined by § 31-4202 and § 31-2501.03, authorized to do the business of insurance in the District, a hospital and medical services corporation, a fraternal benefit society, or a health maintenance organization. The term “insurer” shall not apply to a Medicaid health maintenance organization.
(7) “Malice” means an intentional or deliberate infliction of injury, by furnishing or disclosing information with knowledge that the information is false, or furnishing or disclosing information with reckless disregard for a strong likelihood that the information is false and that injury will occur as a result.
(8) “Person” means a natural person, company, corporation, joint stock company, unincorporated association, partnership, professional corporation, trust, or any other entity or combination of the foregoing.
(9) “Practitioner” means a person, licensed to practice a profession or trade in the District, whose services are compensated either in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by insurance proceeds.
(10) “Premium” means the money paid or payable as the consideration for coverage under an insurance policy.