(a) There is established as a special fund the DC-NET Services and Innovation Fund ("Fund"), which shall be administered by the Office of the Chief Technology Officer ("Office") in accordance with subsection (c) of this section.
(b) There shall be deposited into the Fund all payments for telecommunications services furnished by the Office's DC-NET program from independent District government agencies; agencies of the federal government; agencies of state or local governments; nonprofit entities providing services in the District; entities outside the District government that may engage the DC-NET program to provide telecommunications services to the District of Columbia Public Schools, District of Columbia public charter schools, or the District of Columbia Public Library; any open-access public network established for the purpose of providing Internet access services to underserved residents or neighborhoods in the District; and entities designated by the Mayor as necessary to support economic development initiatives of the District government.
(c) Money in the Fund shall be used for the following purposes:
(1) Network enhancement, maintenance, and expansion;
(2) District government information technology innovation;
(3) Initiatives and actions to incorporate emerging information and communication technologies into the operations of District government agencies to enhance agency operations and the quality of life for District residents, businesses, and visitors through smart technology, including the internet of things, public Wi-Fi, connected devices, and sensors, innovation competitions, and data analytics; and
(4) To pay for operational and administrative costs of the DC-NET program.
(d)(1) The money deposited into the Fund but not expended in a fiscal year shall not revert to the unassigned fund balance of the General Fund of the District of Columbia at the end of a fiscal year, or at any other time.
(2) Subject to authorization in an approved budget and financial plan, any funds appropriated in the Fund shall be continually available without regard to fiscal year limitation.